The Garden of Ninfa
The Garden of Ninfa was lovingly created around a ruined mediaeval town by the Anglo-Italian family of Caetani. The town was abandoned in 1500 as result of plague and its resurrection began to take place at the end of the nineteenth century and has continued up until the present day. The gardens are built around the remains of the original buildings. It is a magical, peaceful place, one hour from the bustle of modern day Rome. Access is restricted as the garden is a natural reserve. The Garden of Ninfa traces the history of the garden and the family who created it using archive photographs. New colour photographs have been especially taken by Marella Agnelli and they re-create, in so far as it is possible, the magical atmosphere of these lush gardens amongst the ruins of the original village.
By: Marella Caracciolo